The seemingly innocent phone habit that can be a sign your partner is cheating on you
- Australian psychotherapist suggested putting your phone face down is a red flag
- Particularly if that phone has, until recently, been placed upright on a table
- Other signs of cheating include a partner being distracted or more independent
- Hiding their phone from you might mean they are messaging someone else
Published: | Updated:
An Australian psychotherapist has warned that partners who place their phones face down on a table might be trying to hide something, like cheating, and you’re within your right to call them out on it.
Melissa Ferrari, a Sydney-based couples therapist, said that while this seemingly innocent habit might be concealing something more sinister, there would be plenty of issues to spot before the change in mobile phone use.
‘A phone that is suddenly placed face down after being years with someone would be a possible red flag,’ she told Whimn.
‘A phone that is suddenly placed face down after being years with someone would be a possible red flag,’ she told Whimn (stock image)
‘The truth is that by the time the phone is switched to silent and face down it means that you have likely missed numerous red flags upon the journey.
‘A big one is your partner seeming more distracted, less interested in you, kind of like they are elsewhere.’
Other notable problems to watch out for would be your partner showing less affection towards you and wanting to do things more independently.
They might also take more of an interest in their appearance or want to get physical in the bedroom less often than they once did.
If the signs are clearly pointing to cheating Ms Ferrari believes the normal reaction would be to start snooping around, even if this means confiscating their phone (stock image)
Key signs of the Serial Cheater
* They are harder to detect because they have mastered their craft
* They go out of their way to tell you that their ex was insecure and that they have friends of the opposite sex
* They get defensive when you ask about their night
* They will confess their undying love for you and in the same breath suggest you get help as you are ruining the relationship with your insecurities
Key signs of the Once Off Cheater
* They will tell you they love you a lot more but not show it
* They will have moments of guilt and buy you unexpected gifts
* They will take you to nice places but the conversation is stifled
* They put uncharacteristic distance down to being ‘stressed at work’
* They daydream a lot
If the signs are clearly pointing to cheating Ms Ferrari believes the normal reaction would be to start snooping around, even if this means confiscating their phone.
Extramarital affair site ashley madison found that 56 per cent of cheaters use their mobile phone first and foremost when they are contacting their other partners.
Then 44 per cent use email, 20 per cent communicate on dating websites, followed by social media DM’s at 20 per cent and 11 per cent even have a secret phone.
As a mobile device is the number one way of communicating it makes sense that philanderers would try to hide incoming texts or calls from their spouse.
However some people told the publication that if their phone is face down it’s just how they placed it, and doesn’t have any underlying meaning to it.